PersonalEncrypter – New and Improved

A couple of months ago I updated the PersonalCLI project to remove information leakage in the form of the original filename of the encrypted data. In my original post about this project I eluded to updating it to move away from the Microsoft encryption libraries and to implement the libSodium library instead.

Well, I’m happy to say that I’ve found some time to do this and moved to .NET Standard at the same time – yep, the future is here.

The initial project was really a quick and dirty exercise to demonstrate the ease with which these applications can be developed. It didn’t really lend itself well for extension – it was only meant to be a proof of concept after all.

In the new project I have created a class library to handle the mechanics of the encryption and a separate project for the CLI. There is also a skeleton project for a UWP desktop application which I’m currently working on (and committed in error – but hey, I’m only human). The UWP application will be initially aimed at Windows 10 but the ultimate aim to for a version of this project to be installable on just about any platform, e.g. Mac, Linux, iOS and Android.

Note: The libSodium project uses a different encryption algorithm to the Microsoft libraries so it will require a new key pair to be generated.

So, I’m now working on the UWP application which may even find it’s way onto the Microsoft Store (if they’ll have it) – afterall, that’s the aim isn’t it – to get encryption into the hands of the masses so that they can have some semblance of privacy.

I’ll be pushing updates to the public Github repo and announcing major milestones here so …… watch this space!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.