They say that life is what you make it so time to make some resolutions …… yes?
Well, if John Sonmez from Simple Programmer is to be believed – maybe not!
I receive regular email updates from the Simple Programmer website and the one I received on 27th December caused me to stop and think.
Probably based on one of John’s blogs posts from 2016, the subject of the email was ‘Dont make resolutions the New Year, make a commitment’. Now I initially thought that these amounted to the same thing but changed my mind after reading the parting shot of the email which read:
Let me put it this way, when you need to take a taxi to the airport, do you want your taxi driver to resolve to be there at 8:30 AM or do you want him to commit to being there at that time?
The answer is obvious (hopefully) so I’ve decided to make some commitments for 2018:
- I will watch at least one Pluralsight course a month
- My technology focus will be .NET Core, Azure, ReactJs
- I will watch at least one Xamarin University session (attending those required to maintain my certification)
- I will blog twice a month (not including the Online Tool of the Month posts)
- To keep me honest I will probably post findings from my Pluralsight courses and Xamarin investigations (proving that I’ve actually honoured the above commitments)
- Other topics will include Privacy and Encryption which seem to be bad words these days
So that’s what I will commit to this year – maybe I’ll be in a position to commit to more but I’ll review my progress mid-2018 and see how I’m doing.